MINUTES OF MEETING OF THE CARMEN-WINONA BLOCK CLUB
HELD AT 5040 N. MARINE DRIVE CONDOMINIUMS
ON THURSDAY, JUNE 24, 2010 AT 7:00 P.M.
List of Attendees:
Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting:
Minutes from the previous General Meeting of January 13, 2010 were [approved].
Opening Remarks – Joe Trendl
In January, the residents of CWBC elected me as President, Gary Hackley as Treasurer and Derrick Anderson as Vice President. Due to a change in job and relocation, Derrick had to step down as VP. No one ran for the office of Secretary, but because Harris insisted that we have three officers on our checking account, Nancy Hackley agreed to become secretary of the Block Club. If there is anyone who would like to be considered as interim VP, or would like to nominate someone, please see Gary or me at the end of the meeting.
Treasury Report – Gary Hackley
Current balance for 2010 is $1,626.19 plus a check from the Admiral in the amount of $250.00.
· The CWB Website has been re-established. Our thanks to Rick Basch for offering to be our current webmaster (carmenwinona.org). Also, our thanks to Ned Read for all of his previous work and for his help in the transition to Rick.
· We have addressed every unnumbered alley property in the Block Club—Argyle to Foster, Sheridan to Marine. We are the only Block Club 100% compliant.
· We worked with the Ward, city and state on Somerset, it was closed and we are now working with the same entities to bring redevelopment to the facility as an affordable rental property.
· We are working to get the fire hydrants and curbs repainted—so far, Winona Street has been completed.
· We got the city to replace the broken street light at 940 Carmen.
· We were able to get CDOT to add two Pedestrian Crossing signs erected on Foster just before the northbound LSD entrance.
· We were able to sign the south side of Winona with Ward-provided WE CALL POLICE signs.
· We worked with the Ward to disallow any park permits along Marine Drive between Foster & Lawrence to be given if the permit request includes the use of amplified noise.
· With the help of Pat Hedeen, got the Ward to redo the newly installed ADD ramps that were poorly constructed.
· We were able to get the Water Department to clean the sewer, just to the south of Carmen on the east side of Sheridan—it was completely clogged and flooding .
· Established a Somerset Committee to work with the Ward and developer on the re-development of the facility. Neighborhood experts in architecture, green initiatives, finance, historic renovation and historic tax credits. The committee will interface and liaise for CWBC with the Ward, the yet to be named developer, Sheridan Road Task Force and neighboring block clubs.
· We brought the Garden Club current with previously promised donations from CWBC.
· We were able to finally push the city to finish the work n the 5024 N. Marine parkway, including sodding.
A motion was made by Joe Trendl to approve the
Fence and Landscape Plan for 5100 Surface Parking Lot on Winona in its
entirety. Motion passed (vote count: 1 No, no abstentions, the rest were Yes.
Plus, we had 8 email proxy yes votes to approve the plan.) Joe will write a
letter to our Alderman.
A free movie, the Blind Side, is scheduled to be shown in the park on Friday, July 2 at dusk.
The following streets will be closed to traffic at 7 PM Sunday, July 4 (some local traffic with an official Photo ID that show your address may be let through to return home). This depends on how open the streets are. There could be gridlock. Better to return home before this time and walk in and out if needed.
¨ Lawrence East of Broadway
¨ Foster East of Broadway
¨ Kenmore (Lawrence to Foster)
¨ Winthrop (Lawrence to Foster)
¨ Sheridan (Lawrence to Foster)
¨ Marine Drive (Lawrence to Foster)
¨ Lake Shore Drive exits at Lawrence and Foster will be closed.
Radio simulcast of the fireworks celebration on 101.9 FM
There being no further business, the meeting concluded at 8:00 p.m.