News (updated 5/6/13):
- Somerset Place renovation restarts May 6 after stoppage by state due
to removal of asbestos. Read more.
- CTA agrees to remove the new bus stops and restore the lost parking spaces
- Block Club opposes proposed new bus stops on Marine Dr. at Foster. Read
- Community Meeting on January 9, at 6:30 PM at Margate Park
regarding proposed Somerset development.
- Our Alderman has issued an email with 2012 highlights for the 48th Ward.
Read it here.
- Block Club meeting on Somerset development on Nov. 15 at 6:30 PM. Margate
- News about the Somerset development from Alderman on Oct. 24,
2012. Read more.
- New larger and more visible street signs installed on the corner of
Foster and Marine Dr. in Sept. 2012
- Expansion of McDonald's restaurant on Sheridan and Foster begins around
end of October 2012.
- The Argyle "EL" station then Berwyn will close during renovations
beginning Aug. 25. Read more.
- The Margate Park playground was renamed the "Bill Hersh Playground."
- The Block Club is now on Facebook. You can also follow us on Twitter.
- The 48th Ward summer schedule was published by the alderman's office.
- The Alderman hosted a meeting of block club leaders on May 29. Click
here to read summary.
- The Alderman has published a report of first-year accomplishments in the
- Lakefront Trail Visioning Workshop on Monday, April 9, 2012, Margate Park
6:30 to 8:30.
- Concrete work closes alley behind the Admiral off Marine Dr. week of March
19 for about one week.
- Lawrence House hearing in Housing Court on March 29, 2012 at 11 AM. Click
here for details.
- Somerset Place update. Click on Somerset link above. 3/6/12
- City to add police officers to Uptown neighborhoods starting Sunday, June
19. These are permanent.
- Community safety meeting held on June 9 with new Aldermen Osterman and Cappleman
- Block Club Meeting with Aldermen Osterman and Cappleman. Thursday,
June 9 at 7 PM. 5040 Marine Dr.
- Community Justice Center Newsletter for Spring 2011 posted
- Alderman Smith introduces rezoning of Somerset Place to residential, 3/39/11.
See Somerset link above.
- Ward Zoning and Planning Committee Notes, 12/13/10
- 2007 and 2008 Block Club Party Pictures added
- Announcements (updated 2/6/12):
- 48th Ward "Master Plan" Meetings announced by Ald. Osterman.
- Thursday, February 16, at 7:00 PM, CAPS (community policing) meeting at
- 48th Ward Town Hall Meetings with Alderman Smith on October 25 and October
- Since there will not be a block party this year, The Admiral will help
fund the CPD National Night Out.
- Alderman Osterman's office will have an open house on Saturday, June 4,
from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- Annual sidewalk/garage sale on Saturday, June 11, from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- The local food pantry, Care for Real, has moved closer to us
and they are looking for donations.
- New 48th Ward Alderman, Harry Osterman's, mission statement
and office info. May 20, 2011
The Carmen-Winona Block Club is an informal organization
of neighborhood citizens who meet
to discuss and act upon local concerns.
By joining together, local people gain effective representation
at the ward level. Our Alderman, Mary Ann Smith,
strongly prefers to work with community groups rather than individuals
in her 48th Ward.
The Block Club takes a proactive interest in local affairs.
It sends a representative to
the Alderman's 48th Ward Zoning and Planning Committee meetings
to participate and to report on the news.
It attends community programs such as the Beat 2024 meetings.
It is engaged in the work of the Margate Park Advisory Council,
whose efforts resulted (among other things) in the creation of a new play lot.
It coordinates closely with a major development project in the club boundaries:
the construction of a new Admiral building
at the site of the old.
During the summer of 2003 it formed a Garden Club
to work on public plots,
including a new native plants perennial garden
at the old site of the Margate Park play lot.
It cooperates with other block clubs in the larger neighborhood.
Each summer the club organizes a rummage/garage sale in order to raise
money for club activities. A party for the neighborhood is held in the
The geographical area of the Carmen-Winona Block Club is bounded by the
south side of Foster, the north side of Argyle, the west side of Marine,
and the east side of Sheridan.
There is no charge to belong to the Block Club.
In order to join, simply come to a meeting or click on the "Contact Us" link.
Meetings are held quarterly, or as local events dictate.
See "Calendar" for dates.
- Joe Trendl (President)
- ----------- (Vice-President)
- Gary Hackley (Treasurer)
- Nancy Hackley (Secretary)
- Ned Read (Garden Club Coordinator)