News (updated 11/7/13):
- The vacant lot north of the Dominick's store on Foster and Sheridan was
sold to the Cycle and Saddle Club.
- Our Alderman comments on Dominick's stores closing in our ward. Read
- Midnight Circus performed at Margate Park on Oct. 19 & 20
as a fundraiser for Margate and other parks.
- There was a meeting on July 10 at Margate Park about the noise from the
Montrose Beach music festival
- Somerset Place renovation restarted May 6 after stoppage by state
due to removal of asbestos. Read more.
- CTA agrees to remove the new bus stops and restore the lost parking spaces
- Block Club opposes proposed new bus stops on Marine Dr. at Foster. Read
- Community Meeting on January 9, at 6:30 PM at Margate Park
regarding proposed Somerset development.
- Our Alderman has issued an email with 2012 highlights for the 48th Ward.
Read it here.
- Block Club meeting on Somerset development on Nov. 15 at 6:30 PM. Margate
- News about the Somerset development from Alderman on Oct. 24,
2012. Read more.
- New larger and more visible street signs installed on the corner of
Foster and Marine Dr. in Sept. 2012
- Expansion of McDonald's restaurant on Sheridan and Foster begins around
end of October 2012.
- The Argyle "EL" station then Berwyn will close during renovations
beginning Aug. 25. Read more.
- The Margate Park playground was renamed the "Bill Hersh Playground."
- The Block Club is now on Facebook. You can also follow us on Twitter.
- The 48th Ward summer schedule was published by the alderman's office.
- The Alderman hosted a meeting of block club leaders on May 29. Click
here to read summary.
- The Alderman has published a report of first-year accomplishments in the
- Announcements (updated 2/6/12):
- 48th Ward "Master Plan" Meetings announced by Ald. Osterman.
- Thursday, February 16, at 7:00 PM, CAPS (community policing) meeting at
The Carmen-Winona Block Club is an informal organization of neighborhood
citizens who meet to discuss and act upon local concerns. By joining together,
local people gain effective representation at the ward level. Our Alderman
is Harry Osterman.
The Block Club takes a proactive interest in local affairs.
It sends a representative to
the Alderman's 48th Ward Zoning and Planning Committee meetings
to participate and to report on the news.
It attends community programs such as the Beat 2024 meetings.
It is engaged in the work of the Margate Park Advisory Council,
whose efforts resulted (among other things) in the creation of a new play lot.
It coordinates closely with a major development project in the club boundaries:
the construction of a new Admiral building
at the site of the old.
During the summer of 2003 it formed a Garden Club
to work on public plots,
including a new native plants perennial garden
at the old site of the Margate Park play lot.
It cooperates with other block clubs in the larger neighborhood.
Each summer the club organizes a neighborhood rummage/garage sale in order
to raise money for club activities.
The geographical area of the Carmen-Winona Block Club is bounded by the
south side of Foster, the north side of Argyle, the west side of Marine,
and the east side of Sheridan.
There is no charge to belong to the Block Club.
In order to join, simply come to a meeting or click on the "Contact Us" link.
Meetings are held quarterly, or as local events dictate.
See "Calendar" for dates.
- Joe Trendl (President)
- Vacant (Vice-President)
- Vacant (Treasurer)
- Vacant (Secretary)
- Ned Read (Garden Club Coordinator)